Software engineer with 12 years' commercial experience including Java, Kotlin, Scala, C/C++, Python, Perl, web frontends/backends, Linux.
January 2014-present: CoreFiling, Oxford, UK: Software Developer
- Part of a small Scrum team responsible for maintaining over 10 products.
- Lead responsibility for a server-side Java product that converts between XBRL (XML for financial reporting) and Excel / CSV / databases.
- Lead responsibility for our implementation of the Table Linkbase standard; company representative on the working group developing that standard.
- Worked on a Kotlin microservice to convert tables in Word documents.
- Consistently praised in performance reviews for rapid turnaround of features for clients.
August 2006-December 2013: Zeus Technology, acquired 2011 by Riverbed Technology, Cambridge, UK: Member of Technical Staff
- Development of load balancing / traffic management software in C++ and web UI in Perl (now Pulse Virtual Traffic Manager) and Stingray Services Controller (Python, Django).
- Activities from design through to support escalations on all areas of the products.
- Added configurable event handlers, geolocation and cryptographic hardware support while maintaining performance.
July 2004-May 2005: HeadRED Media, Coventry, UK: Web Developer (STEP placement & part-time work)
- Built CMS / e-commerce applications to client specifications as part of a small web development agency.
Volunteer & open source work
- 2016-present: Code Club, helping children aged 9-13 learn to code using Scratch and Python: supervising sessions, answering questions, helping with debugging.
- 2009-present: a port of a puzzle collection in C to Android, using JNI and a Java UI, with 100,000 downloads and rated 4.5/5 on Google Play.
- 2002-2006: Helped to run the University of Warwick Computing Society, including provision of LAN parties, training seminars, guest lectures, and maintaining web and shell hosting for a membership of over 200 users and other societies.
- Some Locale plugins (Java) and smaller projects including Python and Ruby.
- Currently learning kernel development by improving a joystick driver.
2002-2006: University of Warwick: Computer Science MEng, 2.i
- Fourth year group project: pub food ordering using Java (Micro and Standard Editions) and Bluetooth.
- Third year individual project: CGI/CLI calendar using C++ and MySQL.
- Second year group project: supermarket checkout system.
- Modules on: software engineering, networking, HCI, database systems, graphics, automata, parallel algorithms, neural networks, AI and project management.
1997-2002: Winchester College
- 5 A-level A grades in Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, German.
- Full clean UK driving license.
- Enhanced DBS certificate issued October 2015.